Re: Problem Shutting Down the ORB

Hi Craig,

	Sorry for the sluggishness, I've been having mail delivery issues (now
fixed :-).

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 18:54, Craig Wright wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I had to pull ORBit out because I really needed
> threading. I'm still using ORBit in my server though, but that doesn't
> use Qt. :) I replaced it with omniORB 4.0.

	Fair enough - we don't have a stable thread-safe ORB yet.

> The goods news is, is that it worked flawlessly without threads. I just
> wanted to beable to start it in one thread, shut it down in another
> and let it execute requests without supervision. :)

	Great.

> Do you know of any issues with omniORB 4.0 and ORBit2 not
> communicating. I couldn't get them to work together. I'm back to ORBit
> 0.5.15 again in my server. :(

	No there are no known issues - although the GIOP funnies we're seeing
with the Mac ADA ORB are concerning to me. Any interop problem is quite
serious and needs fixing.

	It'd be great if you could: compile ORBit2 with --enable-debug; then
export ORBIT2_DEBUG=traces:giop, and run the thing that doesn't
interoperate correctly; and post a link to the output - then we can
analyse it and see who is at fault.

> > 	You seem to be dumping the contents of some symbol table
> > instead of the linc internal protocol list :-) not optimal.
>
> What can I do to get you what you need?

	Hard to say;

> Here's the output of "make check" for linc

	Which is just fine.

> I linked ORBit2 with efence... here's is the new output of "make check"
> It looks to be the same.
>
> Initial References:
> 	POACurrent ... okay
> 	RootPOA ... okay
> Protocol       dr: disabled
> Protocol  oy_addr: disabled
> Protocol destroy_addr: disabled
> Protocol ocol_destroy_addr: disabled
> Local server test passed

	Mine says:

Initial References:
        POACurrent ... okay
        RootPOA ... okay
Protocol     IPv4: disabled
Protocol     IPv6: disabled
Protocol     UNIX: enabled
Protocol     IrDA: disabled

	So there is something seriously wrong there.

> I can get you an account on my machine here if you want to investigate
> this beyond what my level of expertise is. Otherwise I'll help as much
> as I can.

	That might be helpful; I'm available from ~8.45am -> 6pm GMT on
irc.gimp.net, #gnome, 'michael'. It'd be good to get to the bottom of
this.

	Thanks,