Re: ORBit2 on Win32

Hi Karl,

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 15:53, Karl Waclawek wrote:
> > Yes - we don't support that.
>
> So the orbit-mt project still has value...

	Yes.

> AFAIK, the windows sockest can be used in a truly asynchronous way,
> i.e. the OS call you back, no polling needed.

	Interesting; in a separate thread as it were ?

> > Fair enough, nor do I :-), do you have an account on a Unix system
> > where you can read man pages and compare fixes / builds ? if not, one
> > can be procured for you.
>
> I have RedHat 7.3 at home (dual boot), and I have Cygwin too.
> I am not an expert, but used to patch and diff under Cygwin.
> I am also using WinCVS.

	Good.

> > Interesting - we need to integrate with the glib mainloop (the polling
> > mechanism), I don't think glib1 did that. But if we can poll on those
> > handles, then yes fine. It's possible we want a custom IO handler inside
> > linc-protocols.c or somesuch [ assuming we can read/write on a windows
> > socket ? ]. Also, we rather rely on doing non-blocking I/O, I imagine we
> > should only copy the glib1 bits if we need to;
>
> Now, does this mean you are doing this?

	Nope :-) I'm just wondering if there's win32 bits from ORBit that we
need to merge into linc; just splitting out the win32 bits from ORBit
into a diff would be interesting to see if we can merge them into linc
or somesuch.

> I hope that little by little this can be conquered.

	Yep; 'linc' is the place to start.