Re: ORBit2 on Win32

> > Btw, is ORBit2 multithreaded?
>
> Not really; we have put a fair bit of work into making sure it can be
> multi-threaded, but we havn't tested it / finished it. Ultimately my
> feeling is that the asynchronous model is far superior and more
> maintainable - but then - we don't have full server side async support
> yet either ;-) so ...

Are we talking about the same thing? I meant support for the different
threading models, like thread per connection & thread pool.

With asynchronous model, do you mean: overlapped I/O and such things?
Yes, that makes sense. In theory - if you have async - you probably
need a multi-processor server to take advantage of threads.

> > Just asking because the main html page for the linc docs seems
> > to indicate that this is the case.
>
> Yes, there are a number of threading primitives exposed through linc.
>
> > I tried to build the linc package.
> > No success.
>
> Incidentally, it's prolly worth subscribing and CC'ing the orbit list -
> since it's likely that other people are as interested as you in all of
> this.

Done.

> > First I downloaded glib, libiconv  and linintl from
> > http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html,
> > installed and set the include paths. Seems
> > quite a few header files are still missing.
>
> Right ?

You have to consider that I don't know much about the
commonly used libraries on Unix.

> > unistd.h and dirent.h are nowhere to be found.
> > Looks as if there are a lot of differences
> > between a proper Windows build environment
> > and yours. Any idea what those files are
> > and where to get the missing parts?
>
> We use dirent.h for the unix domain socket stuff I believe - which
> isn't going to work on Windows I imagine, so you can prolly #ifdef out
> that code / include [ a patch to not include them when unix sockets not
> enabled would be great ].

OK, I'll have a go at it tonight.
The old ORBit Win32 port has some WinSock stuff - is that something
that could be re-used here?

> I forget what we use unistd.h for, the trick I imagine is to comment
> out the includes, and see what warnings spew - again if we can help you
> that'd be great.

I will need that help! ;-)

Karl