Re: ORBit for robotics??

Hi Marten,

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 12:27, Mårten Björkman wrote:
> > 	If you have problems with exotic non-poll driven I/O then I'd recommend
> > using a helper thread to do that badness, and re-vector the input stream
> > via a socketpair to the main thread - we do that in GnomeVFS to good
> > effect for example.
>
> I believe, that is similar to what we have been doing so far, at
> least for many of the input devices. For larger memory structures
> (like complete images) we use shared memory though. That's one of the
> reasons I'm a bit worried about threads.

	Fine - the ORB can live happily with as many threads as you like; but
you need to send and receive all CORBA calls from the same thread. We
can also do some work to optimise the video transport if you like. It
should be pretty possible to do some zero copy stuff there for huge
sequence<octets> [ I assume how you pass the data ].

> I agree. We are well aware of such limitations and subsample the images
> whenever possible, before sharing the data. That's why people in this
> lab refer to Vision as Wishion. Everyone likes to use Computer Vision
> for Robotics, but there are just so many obstacles.

	:-)

	HTH,