Re: Orbit2 Naming Service

Since MICO accepts these options with a "-" single dash...   Shouldn't
ORBit/ORBit2 accept them that way also?

Thus another command line option for starting up the NameServer would be to
use:
                   "orbit-naming  --ORBIIOPAddr  inet:<computer/IP>:<port#>
-ORBIIOPAddr inet:127.0.0.1:<port#> " /* optionally with single dash.*/
                    This would in effect allow binding to an address for
TCP connections from other computers, and for you to bind to the loopback
for local
                     connections.

   and applications can start up with:

                 "my_application --ORBNamingAddr
inet:<computer/IP>:<port#>"

Also, looking at the "/etc/services" file I see the following "CORBA
related" definitions.

            nsiiops     261/tcp    IIOP Name Service over TLS/SSL
            nsiiops           261/udp    IIOP Name Service over TLS/SSL
            #                          Jeff Stewart <jstewart@netscape.com>
            iiop            535/tcp    iiop
            iiop            535/udp    iiop
            #                          Jeff M.Michaud <michaud@zk3.dec.com>
            corba-iiop  683/tcp    CORBA IIOP
            corba-iiop  683/udp    CORBA IIOP
            corba-iiop-ssl    684/tcp    CORBA IIOP SSL
            corba-iiop-ssl    684/udp    CORBA IIOP SSL
            #                    Henry Lowe <lowe@omg.org>
            omginitialrefs  900/udp    OMG Initial Refs
            #                    Christian Callsen <Christian.Callsen@eng.sun.com>
            cma             1050/tcp   CORBA Management Agent
            cma             1050/udp   CORBA Management Agent
            #                          Ramy Zaarour <ramy@lumos.com>
            #                    Dave Richmond <drichmond@striva.com>
            giop        2481/tcp   Oracle GIOP
            giop        2481/udp   Oracle GIOP
            giop-ssl    2482/tcp   Oracle GIOP SSL
            giop-ssl    2482/udp   Oracle GIOP SSL
            ttc         2483/tcp   Oracle TTC
            ttc         2483/udp   Oracel TTC
            ttc-ssl           2484/tcp   Oracle TTC SSL
            ttc-ssl           2484/udp   Oracle TTC SSL
            #                          Chandar Venkataraman <CVENKATA@us.oracle.com>
            corbaloc    2809/tcp   CORBA LOC
            corbaloc    2809/udp   CORBA LOC
            #                    Ted McFadden <mcfadden@dstc.edu.au>
            orbix-locator   3075/tcp   Orbix 2000 Locator
            orbix-locator   3075/udp   Orbix 2000 Locator
            orbix-config    3076/tcp   Orbix 2000 Config
            orbix-config    3076/udp   Orbix 2000 Config
            orbix-loc-ssl   3077/tcp   Orbix 2000 Locator SSL
            orbix-loc-ssl   3077/udp   Orbix 2000 Locator SSL
            orbix-cfg-ssl   3078/tcp   Orbix 2000 Locator SSL
            orbix-cfg-ssl   3078/udp   Orbix 2000 Locator SSL
            #                          Eric Newcomer <eric.newcomer@iona.com>

In looking up what the OMG corba-iiop definition says for its use I found
the following at the end of Section 15.7.2 in the CORBA spec.
      "A well-known port, 683, has been allocated for IIOP. Agents may use
this well known port, or individual agents may assign previously unused
ports as part of their installation procedures. IIOP supports such multiple
agents per host."

I propose that the name server by default try to use the loopback (for
security purposes) at both port 683, and 900.  Then it should apply
standard Linux/Permissions to object access.   Anyhow....   just some
thoughts.   Obviously there are several other port definitions we could
glob onto.

At least using a well known port# an application ORB could automagicly try
to see if a name server is running that it could
"resolve_initial_references" for.  By default the application could then
register "program-Name" == argv[0] as a context, then within that context
register (bind/rebind) the program-name (or cmdline specified) name with
the IOR.

I realize none of this is really specified with the OMG, but shouldn't we
make it a little easier for people to use the naming service with an
application...

How does Gnome make use of the name server?

-Dave
                  --- Just my 2cents.