Re: IOR Repository ID Miss Match ref: ORBit-0.5.17 not working with MICO 2.3.7?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 03:59:57PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 14:43, dahaverk@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> > Aparently MICO and JacORB have limited the scope of a pragma prefix to the
> > file it is in since we didn't have this problem with them.

> 	Well - since we use the cpp pre-processor to do all our pre-processing,
> it makes it somewhat difficult to do things with the file scope :-) [ at
> least, unless I don't know something about pre-processors ].

Well, gcc's cpp (at least) seems to mark file transitions.

   ~ $ cat tt.c
   #include "tt.h"
   int main () { return 0; }
   ~ $ cat tt.h
   #pragma "foo"
   ~ $ gcc -E tt.c
   # 1 "tt.c"
   # 1 "tt.h" 1
   #pragma "foo"
   # 1 "tt.c" 2

   int main () { return 0; }
   ~ $

In theory, it should be possible to look for such things.
Unfortunately, depending on this might require depending on gcc
specifically, which Sun (and others) might not like.

[suggestion to hack together an orbit-specific pre-processor]
> 	Then I suppose we could use that instead, and prune our gcc dependency
> [ not that you could compile the output without a compiler of course but
> ... ;-].

I already hack ORBit to call cpp directly on Debian systems, because
the IDL parser is used by interpreted language bindings such as
perl/python, and some perl/python users have complained about the need
to install gcc just to run their scripts.  But I hard-code the
location of cpp, because I haven't found any way of determining it at
compile time.  I talked to the autoconf folks, and was told that
autoconf should not be used to find run-time dependencies in the first
place.  (Which was interesting, but not exactly helpful.)

So, much as I hate the idea of reinventing wheels, this might be
pretty handy.
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single