Re: ORBit-0.5.13 TCP/IP networking

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 10:34, J Maynard Gelinas wrote:
>    Allow me to double check results from a system with a properly
> configured /etc/orbitrc. If I've made a mistake by not killing all the
> orbit processes properly, and setting this value in the config file
> actually does solve the problem, I'll post a quick reply with thanks.
> Otherwise, I'll start poking around to see if I can enable logging to try
> and ferret the problem out. Also: can you point me to docs which state the
> TCP port ranges used for ORBit? We use some pretty fascist iptables rules
> to try to prevent unauthorized use of our systems and I'd like to include
> a set for ORBit once networking is enabled.

	Well - gconf doesn't use a defined port - simply because it is per
user, and thus couldn't if it wanted to - many users might be using the
same machine. It should use an un-privileged port though.

	The pretty fascist rules I'm hoping will stop incoming messages from
outside the firewall to your group of machines - which need relative
freedom to talk to each other.

	HTH,