From: Sebastian Wilhelmi <wilhelmi@ira.uka.de>
To: rajesh mirkhelkar <rajmirk@hotmail.com>
CC: orbit-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: (ORBit-mt-0.5.7)g_main_iterate(): main loop already active in
       another thread
Date: 23 Jan 2002 10:41:19 +0100

Hi Rajesh,

 > I am running into this warning conitnuously from the glib library.
 > I am using ORBit-mt-0.5.7 and glib-1.2.0.0.9 on RH6.2
 >
 > GLib-WARNING **:g_main_iterate(): main loop already active in another
thread

 > I have three processes A, B and C. Process A has multiple threads
 > say A.1, B.1 and C.1.

You mean A.1, A.2, A.3?

 > A.1 runs CORBA_ORB_run and A.2 makes ORB calls (client) to threads in B
and
 > C (servers) one of whose threads run CORBA_ORB_run.
 >
 > It seems glibs main loop is being called by the ORB call from A.2
 > which is being already used by the thread A.1 because it is running
 > CORBA_ORB_run.

Indeed, the reason is that in normal operation mode ORBit will be able
to process requests, when itself is waiting for a reply to a request
itself sent out.

 > I am consistently seeing the above warning for 51
 > times everytime before A.2 thread gets control over the glib main loop. I
 > tried to hack inside the code of glib and found that the
 > variable poll_waiting is always set to 1 whenever A.2 (client) makes
 > an ORB call.
 >
 > Is ORBit-mt designed to run in such a situation??

Yes, you would need ORBit-mt for this setup. However the real question
is, do you really need that setup? As said above, your CORBA-objects
inside your server are reachable, even when one of that objects is
waiting for a reply from another server.

Bye,
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wilhelmi