Re: How do I put orbit-name-server into my startup scripts?

Hi Adam,

> Has anyone got orbit-name-server in their startup scripts?
>
> That's what I'm trying to do, but this line:
>
> 	loadproc /usr/local/bin/orbit-name-server \
> 		-ORBIIOPIPv4=1 -ORBIIOPUSock=0 > $IORNAME
>
> blocks, of course.  If I put an '&' at the end of the command, it doesn't
> block, but is logically incorrect, because I can start the nameserver more
> than once.
>
> Some programs let you specify the -d option, which means the command-line
> returns immediately and the program runs as a daemon.
>
> Is there another tool which will start the nameserver as a daemon?

Look at

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/dpkg/

Part of Debians dpkg is a program called start-stop-daemon, which does,
what you need.

> I'm using Linux From Scratch 3.1 and ORBit-0.5.12.

Looking at

  http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue49/misc/beekmans/LFS-HOWTO-12.html

this should be available in Linux From Scratch

Bye,
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wilhelmi