Re: TypeCode operations

Hi Sam,

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 22:23, Sam Couter wrote:
> But if I've been reading the spec correctly, then there are ownership
> problems with nearly all of the objects returned from the TypeCode
> operations. None of them are duplicated or copied, so even though the
> spec says that the caller must free the returned storage, doing so would
> break things in ORBit.

	Strange. If the spec says to return a CORBA_any * it is implicit that
the caller must free it.

> Is this a real bug, or an error in my perception?

	Perhaps in perception. Anything returned from a CORBA like method,
specified in PIDL will obey the normal CORBA return / out semantics.

> It would also need to be fixed in ORBit STABLE, since that's where I got
> the code from in the first place.

	We're not fixing things in ORBit stable unless they are critical bugs,
it's in deep hard freeze - it's very much worth getting it right in
ORBit2 though.

> I started adding lots of tests yesterday. Tedious work. :/

	That's really great - regression tests are lovely.

	Thanks,