Re: handling dead clients/servers

Hi Brian,

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 06:40, Brian Craft wrote:
> Everything I'm finding about handling dead connections is fairly useless. Is it
> correct that there's no corba mechanism for learning when a client or server
> dies? This seems really broken.

	There is no standard way to do it ... BUT ;-)

	In ORBit2 we have a set of methods that can help you to do this:

ORBitConnectionStatus
ORBit_small_listen_for_broken (CORBA_Object obj,
			       GCallback    fn,
			       gpointer     user_data);
ORBitConnectionStatus
ORBit_small_unlisten_for_broken (CORBA_Object obj,
				 GCallback    fn)

	These work nicely and will give you a callback when a connection dies.
They can only be used on an out-of-process client handle - ie. you can't
do this on a handle to a server object to tell when a certain client
died.

	We use this API fairly extensively in Gnome to deal with servers dieing
etc.

	HTH,