Re: C mapping equivalent of Java narrow() method

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 13:35, Chris Wareham wrote:
> I'm porting a Java based CORBA client to C, but having trouble finding
> the C equivalent of certain things. I've attached a minimal Java example
> which connects to the naming service, and then tries to get a reference
> to an specific object. (Apologies if attachments are frowned upon on
> this list).

	Sounds good. (small) attachments are fine.

> The problem I'm having is finding the C mapping equivalent of lines 32
> to 36 where I "narrow" my reference to the desired object. Any examples
> or advice would be greatly appreciatted. In the meantime I'll carry on
> reading the OMG C mapping spec.

	In C there is no need for 'narrow' since there is no need for complex
object type mappings of any sort. So simply:

FooCorbaType a = (CORBA_Object) b;

	:-) indeed, since everything is a gpointer it's all extraordinarily
type unsafe. If you're paranoid you can check that the object is of a
certain type with CORBA_Object_is_a (), otherwise you'll tend to
discover a mis-cast by getting an operation not found exception when you
invoke on the wrong object ...

	HTH,