C++ mapping of OUT variable-length structures

According to a CORBA/C++ spec I've found on the web, the mapping of OUT
arguments for variable-length structures is T*&. However, I see that there
are auxillary _out classes in the main ORBit2/C++ branch.
So my questions are:
	1, What's the point of these _out classes?
	2, Where should the allocation happen? Should the server allocate
the structure? Should it be allocated by the client before doing the call?
Both? Neither?

Right now in my ORBit/C++ branch I'm allocating/deallocating on the client
side via the new/delete operators, but it would be very easy to modify
this scheme to do the Right Thing. So what does the CORBA/C++ spec say
about this?

--
   .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
   \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001