Re: Compiling problems

Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com> writes:

> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > CFLAGS = $(shell pkg-config --cflags ORBit-2.0)
>
> pkg-config is the spawn of the devil because it makes
> it difficult to cross-compile (e.g. for the Sharp Zaurus).
> Package-specific config scripts are slightly more cross-compile-friendly.

 * With pkg-config, lookup of compilation information is standardized,
   so cross compilation can be handled in a standard way. Maybe some
   feature addition to pkg-config is needed, but *fixing* the problem
   is possible.

 * With package-specific config scripts every package is different.

 * With old fashioned hardcoded autoconf tests, it's hell for everyone.

Please don't confuse:

 - I have trouble getting stuff to cross compile with pkg-config right now

With:

 - pkg-config is the wrong way to do things

Regards,
                                                 Owen