Re: ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile problems...

Hi Dan,

On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 20:09, Dan Kegel wrote:
> OK.  Can you post a note to that effect on the Orbit resource page?
> Something like 'Patches for ORBit1 are no longer being accepted;
> all new code should use ORBit2'?

	:-) Well it's not quite that bad. We do accept minimal bug fixes, but
not features like "will Canadian cross IDL compiler".

> That kind of makes me wonder whether ORBit1 is really crucial
> to the current releases of Gnome.  One would expect maintenance
> to continue on a crucial component...

	Maintenance yes, new features no.

> I am somewhat concerned about code bloat, btw, and hope to have
> some footprint measurements soon for ORBit1 + glib1 vs ORBit1 + glib2.
> It's a big concern for me because I'm trying to use Corba on
> an embedded platform with limited RAM.  That's the kind of
> desperate situation that leads people to do things like use
> older, smaller versions of tools :-)

	Oh; ok - interesting, I for one am most interested in any work you have
to cut down the amount of code; I'm also interested in junking much of
the POA etc. in ORBit2 since it's useless to me really. A configure time
option '--tiny-footprint' (or sim.) would be most welcome there. Also in
ORBit2 we put some considerable effort in loosing a little performance
in order to shrink the memory footprint - especially with large
interfaces.

	HTH,