Re: CORBA/ORBit newbie seeks name service/INS help

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fulko Hew" <fulko wecan com>
To: <orbit-list gnome org>
Sent: Freitag, 2. März 2001 16:26
Subject: CORBA/ORBit newbie seeks name service/INS help

http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net
>    has an entry that discusses INS, specs and CVS change annotations.
>
>    - How can I get the source for this INS implementation, and what
>      are the prerequisites.  (if the prerequisites are more than
ORBit-0.5.7
>      where are they?)

The INS stuff has been added to CVS HEAD by Kennard White some months ago,
but the HEAD version of ORBit is officially marked as unsupported, so when
using the stuff from CVS HEAD you are on your own... ;-)

(http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net/faq.html#help)
>        in question 2.e) says "(defined by the INS/Core spec; only
available in
>        the CVS HEAD version of ORBit)
>      - and if the CVS HEAD version (whatever that means) is different,
what
>        does that mean to me.

The official realease packages are based on the orbit_stable_0_5 CVS branch
and do not include the stuff from CVS head. That means for you that the
normal ORBit does not include any INS functionality. It has a V1.0
NameService and thus no support for corbaloc, or corbaname URLs.

For the CORBA bootstrapping issue in general have a look at Michi Henning's

>      - But the faq in 2.c says don't use the CVS HEAD version, use the
ORBit2
>        project instead. (how does ORBit2 relate to ORBit-0.5.7 ?)

>From what I have seen in the ORBit2 CVS tree (Didn't had the time to try it
out yet) there are some indications that ORBit2 will have INS support
(Elliot?)...

> 2/ I tried the name service included in ORBit-0.5.7 (in
src/services/name),
>    but for the life of  me I can't figure out how to successfully play
>    with them.  I seem to need a step by step tutorial with examples of
>    how to get the name server running, and how to use the given client
>    application to interact with the server.

Have a look at the ORBit name-client application. It contains plenty of code
examples on how to use the name service....

Ronald Garcia has a smaller example with some documentation on:
http://www.nd.edu/~rgarcia4/orbit/examples/example5/

> 3/ whats the difference between old-name-server and orbit-name-server?

??? Don't know ...

> Absolutely ANY enlightenment would be appreciated!
>
> TIA
> Fulko

Hope this helps,

Michael

PS: Maybe I should clean-up the FAQ a little bit. It seems to be more
confusing than it actually helps people getting started.... ;-)