CORBA/ORBit newbie seeks name service/INS help

Gee, my subject line sounds like a lonely hearts club want add.... :-)

I'm new to CORBA, and I decided to use ORBit because of its Perl bindings.
But I am having great difficulty in boostraping myself up on it.
I understand the general CORBA constructs, but I am at a loss as to where
to begin using name services, and what needs to be done to applications
in order to use them.

I know I probably should post each question individually, but...

1/ The name service thats included in ORBit-0.5.7 does not seem to be INS
   compliant. and yet the web page at http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net
   has an entry that discusses INS, specs and CVS change annotations.

   - How can I get the source for this INS implementation, and what
     are the prerequisites.  (if the prerequisites are more than ORBit-0.5.7
     where are they?)
     - because the faq (http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net/faq.html#help)
       in question 2.e) says "(defined by the INS/Core spec; only available in
       the CVS HEAD version of ORBit)
     - and if the CVS HEAD version (whatever that means) is different, what
       does that mean to me.
     - But the faq in 2.c says don't use the CVS HEAD version, use the ORBit2
       project instead. (how does ORBit2 relate to ORBit-0.5.7 ?)

2/ I tried the name service included in ORBit-0.5.7 (in src/services/name),
   but for the life of  me I can't figure out how to successfully play
   with them.  I seem to need a step by step tutorial with examples of
   how to get the name server running, and how to use the given client
   application to interact with the server.

3/ whats the difference between old-name-server and orbit-name-server?

Absolutely ANY enlightenment would be appreciated!

TIA
Fulko

Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-333-6000  x 6010
Senior Engineering Designer,         Direct: 905-333-6010
Northrop Grumman-Canada, Ltd.        Fax:    905-333-6050
777 Walkers Line,                    Email   fulko wecan com
Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7N 2G1