Re: finalize in ORBit-0.5-stable?

Elliot Lee writes:
 > On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Phil Dawes wrote:
 > [snip]
 >
 > I'm not judging the validity of the fix - I'm saying that making this fix
 > in the stable branch, when there's a good possibility that it might break
 > the most widely used ORBit-based applications, is a bad idea.

Hi Elliot, All,

Ah - I see your point. However we are now faced with the following
dilema:

People using ORBit-stable (i.e. everyone) can't write transient
servers which either:

a) don't leak memory

or

b) will work with future versions of ORBit. (i.e. corba compliant ones
which call _fini on etherealization)

Which means that this problem is only going to get worse since people
will continue to hack round this bug. I am wondering how we can
transition these apps to use a 'working' version of ORBit in the
future. How about the following:

- provide a runtime switch for disabling the _fini() functionality
- if the servant is etherialized without the switch, output a runtime warning

Does this sound reasonable? Any better ideas?

Cheers,

Phil