Re: finalize in ORBit-0.5-stable?

Elliot Lee writes:
 > On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Phil Dawes wrote:
 >
 > > I've attached a patch which calls the finalize method on the
 > > servant. oaf-0.6.5 and bonobo-0.37 both make check. I'll commit this
 > > in a couple of days if nobody has any objections.
 >
 > Hmm, 'make check' is not sufficient for this. Be very wary of committing
 > this patch until some thorough testing (like, making sure the panel and
 > evolution run, or something on that scale), because I think there may be
 > some servants out there that incorrectly list the finalize method in their
 > epv, IIRC.

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your response.

I think the fix is valid - if the servant isn't managed by a servant
manager then AFAIK the _fini call should be made when the servant is
etherialized.

Since ORBit != GNOME, can I commit the fix and then mail gnome-hackers
alerting them to the risks?

It should only affect people with code which implements a _fini
function and registers it in the ServantBase epv.

Unfortunately I don't have the spare time to build and test evolution
and the panel. (or the battery life - my hacking is all done on train
journeys these days).

Cheers,

Phil