Re: Multiple objects, one (default) servant

Hi!

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Chris S Jones wrote:

> Can anybody tell me if it is possible to implement the configuration
> mentioned in the subject line w/ ORBit 0.5.3?  I've been unable to
> decipher how it would be done in such a way that the servant could
> determine which object is being referenced.  Looking at poa.c, it
> appears that every servant is mapped to one ObjectID, so I'm at a loss
> as to how to get the ObjectID of the object being referenced by the
> caller.  Every method call seems like it can only get the ObjectID of
> the last object activated for the servant.

This does not work with ORBit 0.5.3, but works with CVS head ORBit.

> Has anybody done this?  Is this even something which is valid under
> CORBA?  Should I just burn the extra memory for the additional
> servants?  If so, will there be any other performance hit in the POA
> for having a lot of servants?

Yes, I did this with CVS head ORBit. You can find an example at

   http://www.ime.usp.br/~reverbel/orbit/

It is a modified version of the ORBit echo server, which uses a default
servant for every Echo object. Part of this code has been integrated into
the test-args program of the test directory in CVS head.

BTW, this example still uses an ORBit-specific okeyrand_policy to disable
the generation of random keys. You can remove this policy, because random
key generation is now implicitly disabled by the standard
PortableServer_PERSISTENT policy.

Regards,

Francisco