Re: Multiple objects, one (default) servant

Chris S Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this...pointers to the correct
> one would be appreciated.

Try to cross post to news:comp.object.corba
You usually get very good answers there.

> Can anybody tell me if it is possible to implement the configuration
> mentioned in the subject line w/ ORBit 0.5.3?  I've been unable to
> decipher how it would be done in such a way that the servant could
> determine which object is being referenced.  Looking at poa.c, it
> appears that every servant is mapped to one ObjectID, so I'm at a loss
> as to how to get the ObjectID of the object being referenced by the
> caller.  Every method call seems like it can only get the ObjectID of
> the last object activated for the servant.
>
> Has anybody done this?

Due to the fact that noone responded yet, I assume NO ;-)

> Is this even something which is valid under
> CORBA?  Should I just burn the extra memory for the additional

I don't know if it works with ORBit, but it is valid under CORBA.

See Steve's and Michi's book (link on http://orbit-resource.sourceforge.net/faq.html#help) chapter 11.7.4 p. 484 "Default Servants".
The RequestProcessingPolicy value USE_DEFAULT_SERVANT should do the job.

The only thing you need to take care of is that your servants don't hold object specific state information.

> servants?  If so, will there be any other performance hit in the POA
> for having a lot of servants?

The time for the Active Object Table (AOT) lookup will take more and more time....

> Cheers,
> --Chris

Hope this helps, although it was not very precise. But I don't have the time to test all this myself (unfortunately)...

Michael