Re: Using Naming Service in CORBA::ORBit (Newbie)

On 8/29/00, 5:01:36 AM, Sreeji K Das <bksys@vsnl.com> wrote regarding Using
Naming Service in CORBA::ORBit (Newbie):

> Now, how do I get the name service to work in CORBA::ORBit ? (Is it
> supported, in the first place ?)

The name service on unix is a daemon that listens for IIOP requests. In
theory any CORBA program can use any Name Service, even from another ORB,
as long as the IDL interface remains the same.

> What's the sequence of calls I should
> make ?

Get the 2.3 standard for the services. It documents the various services
(including naming service) from the perspective of the IDL interface. The
standard won't cover how to get hold of the Naming service object
reference. Once you have it, the method calls are quite simple.

> Can some1 mail me some examples in perl ? (I tried a
> $orb->create_name("MyServer") & it bombed out saying "Can't locate object
> method ....").  However
> $Orb->resolve_initial_references("NameService") returned me an Object.

If you didn't explicitly start a naming service daemon from the shell, I
don't think the object reference returned by resolve_initial_references
is meaningful. I wouldn't be surprised if it was returning some kind of
nil reference.

> So
> I guess 'ts possible to do with Perl.

Yes. It's possible in any language with CORBA language bindings. Unless
things have changed, ORBit's Naming Service is not usable yet. I've had
good lock with using TAO's services with ORBit/Perl. I used the Event
Channel with decent results. OmniORB would probably compile faster than
TAO.

Darrin