Re: [gnome-love] jhbuild gnome 3.8 in ubuntu 12.04

On Sun, 2013-06-23 at 12:14 -0004, Adam Dingle wrote:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM, lcl <lichuanlong2010 gmail com> wrote:
I want to build gnome 3.8 in ubuntu 12.04.
[...]
As you've probably figured out, gnome-control-center looks for
smbclient.pc (this is a recent dependency change, by the way).  But if
smbclient.pc is not found, that shouldn't be a fatal error:
gnome-control-center should build anyway, just without the Printers
control panel.  So if you don't care about printing, this might not
matter.

It might be.  In the modulesets, smbclient is a required package for
gnome-control-center, but strictly speaking, you can build
gnome-control-center without smbclient.

https://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets/gnome-suites-core-3.8.modules#n114
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-control-center/tree/configure.ac?h=gnome-3-8#n223

One solution in our end is to move smbclient from required to suggested.

What error message are you seeing, exactly?  Does it stop the build?

Again, the easiest route might be to upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10.  Then you
could simply install the binary package libsmbclient-dev, which
includes smbclient.pc.  (In older versions of Ubuntu libsmbclient-dev
does not have that file; see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1129110 .)

This is not the first package in ubuntu that misses to include the
corresponding .pc file.  libicu-dev is another one.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu is not releasing the fixes back to 12.04 in spite
that is a LTS release and in spite adding a pkg-config in a same version
is harmless.

FWIW, I use 12.04 and it turned out I have to fix these issues by
rebuilding the packages by myself.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/