Re: [gnome-love] jhbuild gnome 3.8 in ubuntu 12.04

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM, lcl <lichuanlong2010 gmail com> wrote:
I want to build gnome 3.8 in ubuntu 12.04.

I think your life will be easier if you use a newer version of Ubuntu.  If you want to build a recent GNOME, I'd recommend running a daily build of Ubuntu 13.10 (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/).  In that version most GNOME packages are already at version 3.8, so depending on your goals you may not need to build anything.

By the way:

- If you want to work on developing one or more programs, you probably want to build GNOME 3.9 rather than GNOME 3.8 since maintainers will expect patches to git master.
- If you just want to work on one program, it might be much easier to build just that program rather than all of GNOME.

The question is about smbclient.pc. I have downloaded samba 4.0.6, build and install it in /usr/local/samba. The smbclient.pc is in /usr/local/samba/lib/pkgconfig, and add a line to ~/.config/jhbuildrc addpath('PKG_CONFIG_PATH', '/usr/local/samba/lib/pkgconfig') but "jhbuild build" still show smbclient.pc not match. How to fix this problem?

As you've probably figured out, gnome-control-center looks for smbclient.pc (this is a recent dependency change, by the way).  But if smbclient.pc is not found, that shouldn't be a fatal error: gnome-control-center should build anyway, just without the Printers control panel.  So if you don't care about printing, this might not matter.

What error message are you seeing, exactly?  Does it stop the build?

Again, the easiest route might be to upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10.  Then you could simply install the binary package libsmbclient-dev, which includes smbclient.pc.  (In older versions of Ubuntu libsmbclient-dev does not have that file; see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1129110 .)

adam