[gnome-love] friendly question

Hello just a friendly question,  I know making a desktop environment is a big task with alot of headaches but I was wondering in what way will gnome 3 have a panel like interface that is like gome 2 in its functionality rather then its form, as gnome 3 fallback does.  and will this theoretical part of gnome 3 ever support compiz and applets again like gnome 2?
   thank you in advance :)

    -Russell

ps: I'v looked into shell extensions, I assume they will eventually replace all applet functions in gnome 3?