[gnome-love] Enhancement of the gnome-search-tool

Hello everyone !!
I am new to this list and would like to confess my ignorance in GTK programming, but  I would like to get a start now.
I am almost never satisfied with the gnome-search-tool and would love to start my journey by enhancing this tool (in terms of functionality, not looks). Can someone please guide me over how to start the work, where to get the documentation related to the search tool , and what all I should be studying in order to work over this project ? I had a look over similar projects like beagle, but they dont get me any fair idea of GTK programming.
Hope you all will support a newbie's enthusiasm.
Thanks a lot !