Re: [gnome-love] Gnome goal proposal : proxy support

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 03:58:02PM +0100, Lionel Dricot wrote:

> Do you believe it worth a Gnome Goal ? Or do you think that individual bug
> reports are enough for that. ?

Not exactly sure if it is a 'bug' or more a request for enhancement.
Anyway, bugs aren't solved because they're filed. However, don't think
it is a 'goal' as intended with the GNOME goal wiki site.

Enhancement... It looks like you are not using a proxy. When you are forced to use one and that most applications behave in strange ways (or doesn't work as expected), it's definitely a bug.  But you cannot understand if you don't use a proxy.

A few years ago, I had never used a proxy. I developped a little application for Gnome with no proxy support. I received a patch. I marked the bug as "enhancement" and it tooks me a while to get it included. Because I had no idea. Now that I'm using a proxy at work, I realize that my application was completely unusable behind a proxy. That's for the little story. I really think good proxy support is an huge asset. (and given the fact the proxy support in Windows is a shame, it's one more strong point for us in the corporate world) but not proxy support at all is a bug (and an important one).

Anyway, if I'm 100% sure that we need good proxy support, I don't know if it worth a Gnome Goal, that's why I'm asking for advices here. And thank you (and all others) for your replies, it's really interesting.

Regards,

Lionel