Re: [gnome-love] Gnome goal proposal : proxy support

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 15:58 +0100, Lionel Dricot wrote:

Hello,

At work, I'm stuck behind a proxy with a password. I then discovered
that a lot of application are not capable of handling a connection
with a proxy. Others require a specific configuration while the proxy
configuration is already available by Gnome. Last but not least, some
applications use the Gnome proxy preferences but forget to handle
proxy exceptions or handle proxy correctly only if no password is
required.

The idea of my Gnome Goal proposal would be to have perfect and
consistent proxy support in the whole Gnome desktop, which is a great
asset in the corporate world.

Do you believe it worth a Gnome Goal ? Or do you think that individual
bug reports are enough for that. ?
 is indeed a very nice goal, but if every app using the network needs
to do all this, the situation is going to continue as it is today :-) So
it would be great if there was an API for every app to use, which would
just use/not use the proxy settings and authenticate if needed, all done
"automagically" behind the scenes
I think there's a conversation[1] underway[2] about inclusion of libproxy[3] as a dependency for 2.26 -- and I agree that it's a worthy goal (although I don't know what would make it a Goal, if you see what I mean).

[1] http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentyfive/ExternalDependencies
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-October/msg00040.html
[3] http://code.google.com/p/libproxy/