Re: [gnome-love] New GnomeGoal

Well, first of all, thanks for your contribution to the AppIcon goal, David !

I give the link to people who may want to see your goal proposal, as it seems you forgot it in your message:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/DistCheck

I think the idea is good, but maybe a bit complicated for newcommers, as it need some autotools knowledge, and there's no easy "recipe" to correct the problems.

GNOME Goals are meant to be easy, and make understanding better how the GNOME stuff works. So a goal that will mandatorily require massive help from another person to guide the one that wants to complete the goal will IMHO be very hard to complete.

Here's my vision of a good GNOME Goal:
To know how to complete his goal, a newcommer will need clear guidelines with at least one of: (choose a,b, or c)
a) a person that knows well the problem and can reply to help requests
b) a maintainer that is able to give some time to help fix the bug for his module c) some statement in the guidelines of frequent mistakes and a way to correct them.

For the "distcheck" goal, we have none of these the conditions. Each project will generate different errors, and it's not easy to teach people how to complete the goal (except that "learn autotools", which is not an acceptable answer!).

Moreover, I would have prefered that you had proposed your goal on the mailing list *before* adding it. Request for comments is generaly good, and should be IMHO mandatory before turning a proposed goal into an official goal.
That's what I did for the Goal #4:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-love/2007-April/msg00017.html

These are the reasons why I removed your proposal of the official GNOME Goals list (hope you won't be mad at me about this).

So, if we want to launch a new GNOME Goal, here are the candidates:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/AboutDialog
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/SaveState
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/UpdateInfoFiles
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/DistCheck
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/WikiMigration

So, IMHO, DistCheck, and WikiMigration require more work to be accepted. SaveState seems to have been based on a bad interpretation, so on its current form, it will not become an official GNOME Goal.

Remains UpdateInfoFiles and AboutDialog, which have both a good basis. AboutDialog has good guidelines, and only a few technical points to make more clear. UpdateInfoFiles is less clear, but involves no coding, which is also a good thing, as GNOME Goals should not be a reserved playground for developers.

So for those who have read this long email, which one do you prefer, so we can improve it a bit, before turning it an official goal ?

Please, feel free to comment.

Cheers,

Luis Menina

David Farning a écrit :
Hey All,

Just wanted to let you know that I added a new Gnome Goal, DistCheck[1].

This is a good goal for all of you interested in learning more about the
Gnome build process and the installation process in general.

I will be learning with you;)

Thanks
David Farning