Re: [gnome-love] jhbuild and libnotify

On 3/4/07, Frederic Peters <fpeters 0d be> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 14:35 +0100, Frederic Peters wrote:
>
> > seahorse has a dependency on libnotify in its jhbuild module definition,
> > but is not part of any official GNOME suite. (and libnotify can be
> > disabled with --disable-libnotify).
>
> Seahorse is part of the Desktop suite. It has been accepted for
> inclusion during the 2.17 cycle.

Oops, sorry I had forgotten about that.  Anyway it doesn't have a hard
dependency on libnotify, so this is perfectly ok.

And I am all with Christian to propose libnotify for inclusion in
2.20.

The big stickler that came up last time it was proposed is that
libnotify needs notification-daemon, which needs libsexy.  Some
dislike the idea of adding an extra widget library when Project Ridley
exists due to the fact that we have too many widget libraries.  (Of
course, some don't care and I personally think the widespread use that
libnotify has achieved suggests perhaps that we need to accept it
anyway.)

Oh, and I think it was proposed as an external dependency.  I waited a
while for those that didn't like the extra widget library thing to
comment, but then forgot about the thread.  And no one bothered to
stick it in the proposed section of the ExternalDependencies wiki
page, so it was simply lost.  Oops.