Re: [gnome-love] newbie at 6 oclock

В Срд, 08/11/2006 в 03:25 -0300, arkaino пишет:
Hi all, I decided to change to GNOME (as a desktop user) 10 months ago
(used fluxbox).

Hi arkaino, welcome aboard

I've attached a graphic I found describing the dependencies of the
architecture. I have a few questions about it:

1) Is it up to date ? If not, can anyone point me to an updated one ?

Well, it's up to date as it could be. It was created recently, so not
many things changed since then and there is not updated version I know
about.

2) Suppose I want to write an application which creates some file and
put "hello world" in it. I could do it using Bonobo or GnomeVFS
separately, is that right ?

I am not sure what do you mean by separately. But you can create file
with GnomeVFS and put "hello world" there. It can be file on smb share
or at ftp server. Bonobo was used for different things.

3) If I can do what is described above or something alike, was it a
"coincidence", or it's how the development team thinks about the
architecture (i.e. giving developers more than a way of doing things)
?

Bonobo and GnomeVFS can interoperate but they really have different
purpose. Although there are other coincidences in GNOME platform, this
example is not so suitable. The platform is not static thing, it grows
and new things appear. Old became deprecated, so you should worry much
about such problems.

4.1) How will that graphic be like the next years ?

Some ideas you can extract from live.gnome.org, for example idea of gvfs
and libgnomeui drop. But there is no exact plan. New modules are
proposed every release cycle and included sometimes.

4.2) Where is the development team aiming at in the long term ?

This page is rather ambitious http://live.gnome.org/10x10.
This is more realistic http://live.gnome.org/Roadmap
This one is interesting to read http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero

4.3) What are the most difficult problems right now on the architecture if any ?

Well, mine short list includes:

* Document framework. Provides document loading/saving/printing/etc
  abstractions, window/tab management, automatic recently used,
   scripting hooks, etc.
  * Scripting framework. Allows apps to easily expose external scripting
    and event notification. D-BUS was the big missing piece here. Can
    specify sets of interfaces for common tasks that apps can implement,
    and building up the frameworks to provide useful default
    implementations.
  * Rich Extension/Plugin framework. Common UI for installing/removing
    plugins and checking for updates and downloading, common hooks for
    menu/toolbar integration and UI event integration.
  * Undo framework. Almost no applications in Gnome support good Undo.
    Should provide both reliable desktop-wide interaction for text
    widgets as well as at an abstract object level.
  * Rich DND/?CopyPaste framework. Undocumented DND targets, poor
    support, and manual data parsing abound in our applications. Could
    provide structured data interop to make doing this loads easier.
  * Persistence framework. Saving and indexing application-internal
    data, optionally exposing to search engines like beagle.

Those are some questions I couldn't guess from reading the documents I
read and the graphic here attached. Maybe I'd know their answers (4.x
in particular) if I was a developer :/

I've also read about Orbit2 and Bonobo but I think I'm gonna get more
in depth to them as I need it.

DBus http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus is more popular this
days, probably you need to look at it first.

I'm trying to learn the "what"s and "where"s of GNOME instead of the "how"s.

So if someone can help me, it will be appreciated. New suggestions are welcome!

cheers
arkaino.

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/doc/guides/platform-overview/platform-overview.html