Re: [gnome-love] Where to make a policy suggestion?

So, I"m sort of jumping into this late.  But I haven't read mail in
awhile so I thought I would put in my two cents.  I've read the entire
thread so I got the gist of the conversation.

My feeling about exposing these details is somewhat different.

I think GUI's by their nature tend to obfuscate detail anyways since
that's the point of a good GUI.  It makes using the computer less
intimidating.  There's always a temptation among power users to want to
interact with their GUI like they would with their command line and it's
a losing battle.

What we want details for is purely subjective.  You might be interested
in seeing how GNOME decides to burn a CD, but might not care for other
details which might interest someone else.  There's also the added
problem that when you do want to show something like this, you're using
up valuable GUI space that could be used for other aesthetic purposes.

Let's go back to our CD burning example.  If the default software cannot
do what you want from it, I consider that as an opportunity to create
something that could do multiple cd images.  It doesn't all have to be
done by the default software.  Thankfully, we have Linux where you can
fling the GUI out the window, pop up the shell and create your own
solution with standard tools.

People who do have problems that are not scalable with the current
software generally will find out where and how once they have the
motivation.  If not, they get to pay some dude to do it for them.  I"ve
seen this happen hundreds of times.  The grapevine becomes alive.   We
don't see it now because Linux desktops haven't hit critical mass but
it's getting there.

sri

ps I'm somewhat tired, so I hope I made sense here.