Re: [gnome-love] Needing assistance with man page and GDM

Jonas:

Most of the community man pages are in NROFF format.

Are there man pages not writting using NROFF ?

I know that Sun installs SGML man pages to /usr/share/man/sman*.
I believe man for Linux can support SGML or will at some point.
If not, SGML can be transformed to NROFF.  This would be better
for the community I think since SGML is the way manpages are going
and it would allow Sun to work more closely with the community to
update man pages.

but it might be nice if the community moved towards
XML Docbook.  One advantage of doing this is that it would be easier to
include copies of the man pages in the User manual that gets displayed

I agree, but how are you planning on writting a new man application to
handle the XML Docbook man pages ?

If a SGML man page program isn't available in Linux, then the pages
can be transformed to NROFF.

Secondly, there is a real need to cleanup the user interface in GDM.
Look at all these gdm interface bugs.  gdm2 could use a bit of a
usability/interface overhaul.  Anybody want to help.  I'm happy to
provide guidance/assistance to any developers who want to get started
with gdm2.

What about the fact that gdm-setup still uses Gtk-1.* , and that you
first have to be root before you can run it, instead of prompting the
user for the root password and then run it ?

Yes, that's in the list.

Brian