[gnome-love] Needing assistance with man page and GDM

I tried sending this on the 24th but it didn't seem to get on the
archives, so trying agian.

Here at Sun we build our man pages from SGML, and we have invested a lot of
time putting together SGML versions of the various GNOME man pages.  Because
it is a Sun ARC (Architecture Review Council) requirement to have man pages
for all programs installed to /bin or /sbin, we have spent a lot of time
updating the community man pages so that they are more complete and accurate
and also supply man pages for quite a few programs that aren't documented
by the community.

Most of the community man pages are in NROFF format.  The SGML can be
converted to NROFF, but it might be nice if the community moved towards
XML Docbook.  One advantage of doing this is that it would be easier to
include copies of the man pages in the User manual that gets displayed
in yelp.

To date, Sun's improved man pages have not made it back into GNOME
community CVS because these issues have seemed to big to resolve and
there are not enough SGML/manpage experts at Sun who can dedicate their
time to this project.  I'm wondering if there might be some people
out there comfortable with this sort of work who would be willing to
work with me to help get these man pages into the community CVS.

Secondly, there is a real need to cleanup the user interface in GDM.
Look at all these gdm interface bugs.  gdm2 could use a bit of a
usability/interface overhaul.  Anybody want to help.  I'm happy to
provide guidance/assistance to any developers who want to get started
with gdm2.

57362  - gdm should show what Last refers to.
67647  - cosmetic issue with timed login label
71215  - UI tweaks to face config
78684  - allow option to state users included or excluded on face browser
80230  - transparent parts of shaped windows not honored
86104  - support color gradiants for background.
89421  - add ability to choose different Xserver config in gdmsetup
90052  - allow flexiserver to be selected from greeter
91015  - poor support for fonts in GDM
98470  - need OK button on Graphical Greeter
98473  - improve graphical greeter themes to better support translations
103271 - support multiple xservers
104949 - should be able to set password/photo from same UI.
105156 - format string in preferences
105918 - UI overhaul
111642 - support different themes per server.
112169 - support dynamic background logo images
116815 - doubleclick not working on face browser
117605 - support custom PAM dialogs
117776 - Add better mnemonics.
117778 - Add cancel button
117779 - Resizing annoyances
117780 - Add better window management features to GDM
118193 - Language choice improvements
119099 - Add single click config option for user photos
122518 - support transparent face browser.
126453 - better support for GDM sleep mode.
131952 - more clear "password" entry
143586 - isn't this handled by just creating a default.desktop?
143634 - STRUTS for gdm
155142 - support left-hand usage of gdm
159025 - gdmphotosetup still using old GTK file chooser
161178 - GDM should support locale settings for clock setting.
161346 - HIGify the gdmsetup.desktop tooltip.
163328 - Better help
164023 - GDM needs better STRUTS support.
164785 - path handled poorly in gdmsetup
164786 - separate GUI from backend in gdmsetup
164822 - better font support

Brian