Re: [gnome-love] Hi Gnome Love !

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:49:31 +0100, Luis Menina <liberforce fr st> wrote:
Hi everyone !

I talked 2 week ago with elijah newren, on #gnome-love about the
difficulties a newcomer (even motivated one) could encounter in wanting
to give some help on the GNOME project.

In other parts of your email you sound _really_ defensive...which
worries me, especially since you mention having chatted with me.
Unfortunately, I don't recall chatting with you at all (poor short
term memory, I guess), but I hope I didn't jump on you or anything of
the sort in our conversation.  I apologize if I did.

I tried grab info about all the ways people can help the GNOME project,
but there's still some shaded parts... if people think I did well, then
I'll try to improve what I see as an entry point into the GNOME
community, and what I first expected from the Gnome Love wiki page (on
gnomesupport.org or live.gnome.org).

I think this sounds like a good idea.  We easily lose sight of the
fact that the Gnome Love project exists to help people contribute to
Gnome however they can.  This is because other projects
(documentation, quality assurance, translation, etc.) are much more
well defined and thus we tend to merely refer people to specific
projects if they are interested in those, which leaves us to help try
to orient developers.  I think it'd be good to have such a page up
front with an explanation about this and saying that subsequent pages
will concentrate on developers because there's no other central
location to send them as we can do with people interested in other
areas.

We already have a link to the developer.gnome.org/projects page, but
you are right that it's kind of buried and that it makes sense to
stick it out front and make it more than just a link.

It's information gathered from the other gnome sites

I think you've done really well at researching and basically updating
the developer.gnome.org/projects/ page.  Thank you for your effort.
Some notes:

There is no GNOME Developers Team.  This entry doesn't really make any sense.

Packaging doesn't just have an outdated page, it's totally defunct.
It should simply be removed from the list (and yes, it should have
been nuked from developer.gnome.org/projects a long time ago).

I don't think Business Managing makes sense as an entry.  The page is
geared towards volunteers and where they can help.  The "you can hire
people to work on this stuff" is somewhat ortogonal, plus it would
include bits and pieces of all the others as the people they'd hire
would be doing one of the things from the other entries.  Just as we
have information elsewhere designed for the press
(http://www.gnome.org/press/), I think this is something that also
belongs elsewhere.

Hope that helps,
Elijah