Re: [gnome-love] Software to organice

Op za, 25-09-2004 te 13:13 +0200, schreef Guillermo Latorre:
Hello Gnome!!

I am not a developer but wish to be. Sorry for my English.

I have noticed that there's something lots of students need and Gnome
haven't.
I send this mail because I know there are many students that use Linux
and Gnome, and the calendars are complicated. I have looking for an
applet, or a program, that would administrate my schedule on this new
season, with all my theory and practice classes, a program wich could
send me notices about the current week.... or something like this.

Someone knows something about? Exists this software?

Thanks!

Guille'04, from Spain

Perhaps a tad off-topic, but I've been trying to extend a small web
application called JCal to suit my needs and I'm progressing nicely:
http://g-lite.kochen.nl/imgs/calendar.png

JCal is here, btw:
http://www.prescientsoftware.com/jcal/

I was not satisfied with Evolution, perhaps because I was turned down by
the interface or the excess of features I had no use for.

On top of JCal, right now this supports multiple events per day and
sortof wildcard-like functionality; you can basically say: "This event
happens on every wednesday of 2004," and leave the day and month options
on "Any". Quite handy for me personally to keep track of my schedule,
birthdays, etc. :)

I plan on adding some functionality to leave comments for a specific day
on otherwise repeating events, so I can keep track of homework on top of
my schedule.

Besides that, I have to fix a couple of minor bugs, like the event
date/time display below the title, which right now shows the wildcards
as question marks (and a number instead of an actual weekday name) and
the "Week at glance" table, which only shows one of the events on a day.

In an attempt to try and be more on-topic (/ gnome-related), a wishlist
item right now is a panel or notification applet for GNOME which would
notify me of upcoming events. Perhaps have an RSS interface, which the
applet would download every once in a while? I'm not sure if RSS is
suited for that.

I'll probably put it online if I ever finish it, still a couple of
things to fix and add.

-- Stéphan