[gnome-love] Low level optimization for GNOME

                Hello lovers and hackers.

        Recently we are seeing in this list some people interested on
contributing to GNOME. We are planning another big gnome love day,
explaning and giving easy tasks for GNOME 2.10 (like porting gnome_about
to gtk_about, old GnomeFileEntry, propagating the use of GtkFileFilter
for the file chooser etc...)

        But there was a big task that we wanted for GNOME 2.8 that finally
nobody did: "icon theme" optimization.

        Right now we have two different proposals:

        * Owen Taylor's Binary icon index file:
                http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2004-April/msg00065.html
        * Alan Cox's Pakman:
                http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-
June/msg00472.html
                ftp://people.redhat.com/alan/Packmap/

        Is anyone with deep C (file IO, mmap, etcc...) knowledge interested on
try to implement these proposals (in the first case, implementation +
integration, in the second, only integration) for GtkIconTheme? We can
agree on doing only one, or doing both and choose the best...
whatever... like a R&D project :)

        Feel free to ask here for some guiadance.

Salu2