Re: [gnome-love] another new face

Hi!
Right, this happens _all_ the time.  And it's totally unpreventable.
Updating code means you could introduce an error that prevents things
from compiling.  CVS HEAD changes constantly.  Everyone is careful,
but you just can't totally prevent human error.  If any one person
messes up and commits code that won't compile, anyone compiling Gnome
from CVS will run into a snag.  It's not uncommon that I'll revert I'm
compiling to CVS from a few days before in order to work around
something that I can't figure out.
Don't CVS committers compile the source before they commit a patch
into CVS? If they succeed in compiling on their local machine, why
doesn't it compile later? And if it doesn't compile, why do they
commit at al?

Were you compiling from CVS or from tarballs?  If from tarballs, you
have to understand that extra precautions are taken to make sure they
compile; tarballs don't change every minute of the day whereas CVS
HEAD can and sometimes does.
It _was_ the CVS checkout which I got from somebody. Yeah, tarballs
are stable but they are not that frequently released and naturally
don't reflect the development going on in the CVS.

jhbuild is one such tool.  If there's a problem with it, we just need to fix it.
Yeah, jhbuild is _just one tool_, but there is a lot of scope for
improvement notwithstanding the fact that it does help a lot at times.

--
Baishampayan Ghose
b.ghose at gmail.com