[gnome-love] Which Linux distribution

I'm a graduate student in CS who became interested in GNOME Accessibility, especially as it relates to visually impaired people, as I researched a paper for an Operating Systems course.  I would like to learn Linux in order to contribute to GNOME Accessibility in the future.  Can someone advise me on which Linux distribution I should obtain, and also any books or online tutorials which would be helpful?  My knowledge of Unix is minimal.  Thanks,

Kathy Hodgson