Re: [Fwd: Re: [gnome-love] start-menu]

General comments:

(a) You can put separators in menus.
(b) As to structure of menus, that's kind of a distro problem but you can customize it (c) There used to be an option for larger icons, this seems to have disappeared at some point (gnome 2.0?)
(d) Some things I think are shitty about XP style menus:
1) They change depending on your usage patterns. That's a really bad idea, the interface becomes less deterministic and it's harder to use muscle memory. 2) They are 2 columns wide: I think it is harder to find stuff visually with >1 column, also seems more complicated muscle-wise (not quite a Fitt's law thing, but you have to make an initial movement horizontally as well as vertically...). Splitting out the applicatons menu into several smaller more specific menus on the taskbar might be a good idea however. 3) A lot of the less commonly used stuff is in effect 'more hidden' in the new XP style menus. Yesterday, I watched someone pull up a spreadsheet to do a simple calculation; when I said 'why don't you use the calculator' they looked at me blankly and were amazed when I pulled it up.

Pipe-dream stuff for me would be no start-menu at all, but a persistent sidebar that's kind of the panel, the start menu, and a nautilus sidebar all rolled into one. You could have different tabs like "Recently Used", "Document Templates", "Bookmarks", "All Applications", "Setup", etc, etc. Stuff like this have been done before, and something like this is in MS Blackcomb I believe.

Cheers,
Darryl.