Re: [gnome-love] Task manager for GNOME

On 9 Jul 2003, Shaun ONeil wrote:

I know I could put together a nice wrapper script.
I am trying to think of things from a very Desktop/Graphical User Inteface
oriented users point of view.

Take a look at gnome-network (in gnome ftp and cvs). It has
remote-shell, remote-desktop, and several others - the first of which
sounds to be exactly what you're aiming for.

Quick screenshot at http://shaun.dog-berry.com/temp/gnome-net.png

Regards,
  Shaun

Thanks for the infromation but it does highlight the difficutly of finding
out new software (as in software you dont already know about).  Older
sysadmins have a terrible habit of recommending classic Unix tools when
easier graphical ones exist and they leave users wondering why Linux is so
difficult.

What I am trying to get at is that someone who had used windows for a long
time would expect something useful to happen when the type telnet in the
Run Dialog.
Perhaps it is the job of each linux distribution to make sure that a
"graphical" telnet/ssh/ftp/ssh/scp client appears when the user tries to
use them from within the graphical user interface and only use the
command line / ncurses interfaces if the user starts the program from the
terminal window.
A way to make it easier for users to find what they are looking for would
be a big improvement, now that Gnome is more mature and feature filled.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/