Re: [gnome-love] Gnome2 ppp application

Paul Best wrote:

Is there anyone here who does have the skills to link
a gnome gui to wvdial?  Its c++ and has a wvdial class
available and there are gtk+ bindings for c++ correct?
I've also been thinking about this and coincidentally also produced some glade mockups a couple of days ago
(see attached screengrabs). Perhaps this discussion will even spur me to do some coding!

My thoughts were to simply exec pppd & wvdial rather then call wvdial libraries. afaik you can only do
dial-on-demand with the 'pppd calls wvdial' method and not the 'wvdial calls pppd' method. Without demand-dial,
connection sharing (a-la NAT) is not so useful imo. A solution with dial-on-demand and connection sharing would
be waaay cool even though it makes the task considerably more complicated (cross-platform issues, root account
issues...). It's important for small office or home network.

I tried to keep the dialogues pretty simple (not even dial prefix or area code, imo just use different
profiles  to dial from different places). Good example of how not to do it is the win9x dialup network setup
- very baroque and deeply nested; i've watched people spend ages trying to change something very simple.

Any other opinions or ideas?

Darryl Rees.

PNG image

PNG image