[gnome-love] Re: Re: anyone wanna help with gnome-backgrounds

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:49, Jakub Steiner wrote:
I'm rarely this negative, but none of the wallpapers you propose make a
good example of what I'd like to see in gnome-backgrounds.

Dude, you've got a much better eye than I do, so your feedback and ideas
are much appreciated. I have not the artistic skill to come up with anything
very impressive, which means that I'm reliant on what people on these
lists can produce and a.g.o

I think a gnome wallpaper should be
      * simple. low contrast image is a must. anything gaining too much
        attention fails as a wallpaper. You have to perfectly see the
        items on your desktop.

Agreed - maybe some simple but well chosen tiles would work well.. would
also help keep the file size down. I'm think that I'll use
http://xsu.sourceforge.net/Screenshot-stripes.png as the default
background in 2.5 unless someone can come up with anything better.

      * gnome branded. a gnome2 fancy button or the simple foot shape
        should be part of the wallpaper

There is a nice translucent gnome foot in
gnome-desktop/pixmaps/gnome-background-image.png , but stuff like that
only works well with well chosen background colors. If we use something
like luca's design for a background chooser(attached) then we could
choose a set of default colors too.

But these are quite bland (including the simple.png rip-off ;). I really
like the single-color-toned abstract textures that osX ships with.

Never seen them i'm afraid...

A nice compromise would be the stuff that garrett does with his macro
photography. The field of depth makes most of the shot blurry, there are
large single colored areas. check his stuff on http://linuxart.com. I
would talk to him and discuss possibilities creating some wallpapers out
of those images. Some of his stuff is insanely cool:

http://linuxart.com/photoview.phtml?sid=03jun09-arboretum_dusk&iid=0609-185434
http://linuxart.com/photoview.phtml?page=1&sid=03jun09-arboretum_dusk&iid=0609-184114
http://linuxart.com/photoview.phtml?page=1&sid=03jun09-arboretum_dusk&iid=0609-184932

Yeah. these look dead sexy. If we could put together a few of these and
some nice patterns we'd be well set. Will take more work though..

--
Mark Finlay
Computer Science Student

E-Mail: sisob_AT_tuxfamily_DOT_org