[gnome-love] Re: Re: anyone wanna help with gnome-backgrounds

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 17:49, Jakub Steiner wrote:
I think a gnome wallpaper should be
      * simple. low contrast image is a must. anything gaining too much
        attention fails as a wallpaper. You have to perfectly see the
        items on your desktop.
      * gnome branded. a gnome2 fancy button or the simple foot shape
        should be part of the wallpaper

I agree, the backgrounds included should be subtle without too many
distracting elements. And in addition to being gnome-branded, they also
need to fit well in with the rest of the environment. Stock icons and
other graphics all have this "cute", cartooney feel to them - and I
think this should somehow be reflected in a few of the backgrounds. But
we should also have room for some variation - people are different, and
we should try to include backgrounds which will appeal to a large range
of people.

A nice compromise would be the stuff that garrett does with his macro
photography. The field of depth makes most of the shot blurry, there are
large single colored areas.

Absolutely, these kinds of photos are excellent, and I think we
definitely should include a couple. I would also like to propose
FlowerScanBlue by Star, based on a tigert photo - I've been using this
as my background for a year or so:

http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/gnome/27.php

Although it may be a bit intrusive, it is clean and beautiful - and it
gives my desktop this really cozy feel ;)

--
Erik Grinaker <erikg wired-networks net>