[gnome-love] Re: Problems Printing at ECOMM-CAN

What other information would you need to make myself clearer?
I really need this problem solved; I have my boss breathing on my neck!
TIA

On 2002.08.12 20:17 Stephen Gran wrote:
This one time, at band camp, Maya said:
> First of
> ~~~~~~~~
> After reading the information about upgrading to GNOME2 provided by
> gnome.org, I
> changed the 'sources.list' database from stable to unstable, did the

> updating and upgrading of the system and taataaa... No problems. I
have
> noticed a grate improvement in the system; the applications run much

> faster and, so far, all the applications share data more
effectively,
> the GUI is much nicer and all the applications are newer than the
ones
> in the stable database. Mind you though, I have not yet install
GNOME2
> I am still using the whatever portion of GNMOME2 that comes with the

> unstable packages.
> Now, I have not tested this on a real life network, but it is
showing
> promises though.
> The reason why I am not tested the upgrade on a real life network is

> because I first test all new things on a P133 box called, of course,

> TESTER_BOX, which runs Debian Linux and 64MB of RAM.
>
> Congrats to the GNOME team as well as all the support application
> developers. Keep up the good work!
>
> PROBLEMS in paradise
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> At this stage in the upgrade I have but one serious problem, for
some
> reason my EPSON Stylus COLOR 800 printer is spitting out garbage
when I
> try to print from any of the GNOME applications [AbiWord, Balsa,
> Galeon], with the exception of gnomepad+ and gEdit. I checked/tested

> the printer before the upgrade though and it was OK. Note that
> TESTER_BOX has installed lpr and apsfilter to take care of the
printing
> spooling and printcap respectively. It would appear that the problem

> resides in those applications that encode text, since it is only
those
> applications that are showing this problem. Someone suggested that
it
> was 'gnome-print' the source of the problem, I couldn't say that
that
> is for sure. NEdit, gnomepad, gEdit save data in text mode; these
data
> is printed correctly from the application itself or form the command

> prompt.
>
> Another problem, although a minor one, is that none of the GNOME
> applications can check spell. From Balsa I get a message that reads:
>
> I am sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for language-tag
"en".

> From Abiword one that reads:
>
> Could not loads the dictionary for the en-US language.
>

> I would appreciate any help regarding these matters.
>

> Thanks in advance

I can't help you with the printing, at least not without more details,
but the spellchecker problem is simple - both of those programs are
looking for an external dictionary to check words against.  I know
abiword can use either ispell or aspell, don't know about balsa
offhand.
Check the recommends line in `apt-cache show balsa` - it'll tell you
what dictionary it wants.  Alternately, use dselect or aptitude -
it'll
attempt to pull in the recommends.
HTH,
Steve
--
Like punning, programming is a play on words.