Re: New connection appears after unplugging Ethernet

On Sun, 2022-04-24 at 22:00 +0000, Martin wrote:
Dears,

when I *unplug* the Ethernet of my laptop computer, a new connection
"enp0s25" appears out of the nothing. When I plug the Ethernet in
again,
my usual connection "Wired" is automatically used, probably because
the
other connection "enp0s25" is active?

Before unplugging:

NAME         UUID  TYPE      DEVICE
Wired        6...  ethernet  enp0s25

After unplugging:

$ nmcli con
NAME         UUID  TYPE      DEVICE
enp0s25      c...  ethernet  enp0s25
Wired        6...  ethernet  --

Maybe relevant software versions (Debian testing):

linux-image-5.16.0-6-amd64 5.16.18-1
network-manager            1.36.4-2
udev                       250.4-1

How can I prevent a new Ethernet connection on *unplugging* Ethernet?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Hi

the profile with the same name as the device, is usually generated by
NetworkManager in response to an external configuration. You'd see
"connected (externally)" in `nmcli device`.

That usually means that some other program is configuring the device.
Or it would be a bug... to investigate, check the `level=TRACE` log.
Read [1]

[1]
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/blob/main/contrib/fedora/rpm/NetworkManager.conf#L27

best,