Re: Changing primary plugin on Fedora to keyfile

On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 22:59 -0400, Dusty Mabe wrote:
Hey NM team/community,

I would like to propose that we switch the order of the plugins on
Fedora
(next major release is Fedora 33) to be `plugins=keyfile,ifcfg-rh` so
that
both keyfiles and ifcfg are still supported, but now we default to
writing
out/generating keyfiles when using NM tools. If we are ever going to
get away
from the ifcfg format this is a small step in the right direction.

Of course there are things to take into consideration, like existing
systems.
I propose that we only have this change take effect on new installs.
On existing
systems (upgrades) we leave the order of the plugins unchanged. Over
time more
users will eventually opt for a new install over an upgrade so we'll
have less
users to ultimately "convert" once it comes time (distant future) to
actually
get rid of the ifcfg plugin.

What do you think?

Hi,

Sounds good. The package could just start installing a file
/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/01-setting-plugins.conf.

Not sure about the upgrade, vs. new installation. Note that if we set
main.plugins=keyfile,ifcfg-rh, then on upgrade old profiles still
continue to work. Only new profiles will be written in keyfile format.
Possibly we chould just change that completely. In that case, we could
not use a conf.d file, but instead change the compile time default.
Maybe the conf.d file is preferable, because it's better discoverable.

But it's mainly the choice of downstream/Fedora. I think this would
require a Changes document ([1]) and discussion on fedora devel.

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/program_management/changes_policy/

Seems the deadline for F33 is in June ([2])

[2] https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/f-33/f-33-all-tasks.html

best,
Thomas