Re: global-dns not working

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 04:26:35PM +0200, Beniamino Galvani wrote:
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 03:48:34PM +1000, AP wrote:
Hi,

Using NM 1.20.0 with Debian Buster (though this also happens with 1.14.6) and am
trying to get the global-dns section to work so that I don't have to type it in
for each and every connection I create.

you need a section for the default domain, as:

[global-dns-domain-*]
servers=1.1.1.1

As explained on IRC, the global DNS configuration must be completely
defined and requires a name server for the default domain.

Thanks for the heads up on IRC. I think you replied to me there about
30 mins after I emailed the list. :)

Currently it is not possible to define partial (for example, only the
search domain without servers) global configuration that is integrated
at run time with the information from active connections (i.e. name
servers). If the global configuration is defined, the rest is ignored.

A mechanism to merge them seems a useful feature that we could
implement.

As stated on IRC, this would be greatly appreciated as local DNS servers
can have a different picture of a domain's name space from the ones on
the internet (for example, hostnames become available to access local
resources).

Anyhow, thanks again for the convo on IRC.

AP