Re: WiFi AP selection

The definition of a Bel (named after Alexander Graham Bell) is just the logarithm (base 10) of a number https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel. A decibel is just ten times that. The purpose of taking the logarithm is to enable a simple representation of widely varying numbers that would be troublesome if presented on a linear scale. It also has the merit that adding and subtracting the logarithmic numbers is the same as multiplying and dividing which is what one commonly needs to do for signal connections.

Since a decibel is just a ratio it does not represent an absolute signal level. As a consequence a reference level has to be assigned. In the case of radio and other signals it is commonly one milliwatt, thus we have dBm -- a logarithmic signal strength relative to one milliwatt. A milliwatt of radio signal is still a massive amount.  Even a very strong signal will be just 1,000th of a milliwatt -- a microwatt. Because this is expressed logarithmically signal strength numbers are invariably negative -- it's a negative exponent.
 -30dBm is a very good signal.
 -70dBm is at the edge of workable.
 -80dBm is not very workable.
-100dBm is close to nothing -- but the logarithm of zero is undefined!
A 1% difference is a ratio of 1/100 = 0.01 so in decibels that is: log(0.01) = -2.0dB

So far, mathematically simple. However, signal strength isn't enough because of noise. All signals have noise and the transport of information is what is important. Claude Shannon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Shannon did fundamental work in this area a long, long time ago.

I don't know what a supplicant is? Is it the WiFi driver? It is clear that iwlist has good data that represents what the various channels can offer. I presume that NM is the final arbiter of which channel is chosen for the connection.

As I understand WiFi, the technology does not support roaming at all, unlike wireless phones which dynamically associate with cell towers. In my circumstance the radio is shut down and restarted every time I change location so NM gets to select the AP from scratch. It just picks the wrong one!