WiFi AP selection

I have a situation where I have multiple APs in a building all with the same SSID and WPA key but set to non-clashing frequencies. When I close my laptop and WiFi shuts down and I move to a new location the Network Manager seems to connect to the original AP, rather than one with a much stronger signal.

The algorithm for AP connection is suboptimal (in other words dumb). The selection process should scan ALL APs, figure out which ones are known (SSID and WPA); measure their signal strength and then choose the known AP with the strongest signal.

How hard is that?
Clive.